Newhaven & Falmouth

Ocean Princess Successfully Completes South Coast Circular Cruise Newhaven to Falmouth

Thursday morning 31st July at 0430 Ocean Princess left Newhaven having been fitted with a new VHF and all necessary safety equipment (which had to be inspected and approved by the coast guard inspector). With calmer seas, Ocean Princess cruised to Yarmouth, arriving at 1545. The Solent was busy with yachts, some practicing for Cowes week, and with a force 4/5 wind and 4-foot waves they were having a good sail. Southampton water was busy with ferries, cruise ships, container ships and at one point HMS Ark Royal appeared astern on her way back from the Gulf.

Yarmouth HarbourOn entering Yarmouth harbour, a large passenger boat stopped in front of us and when we radioed the skipper to ask what his intentions were, he said that he had been asked by the passengers to stop the boat so that they could take a closer look and photograph Ocean Princess.

We were made very welcome by the Yarmouth Harbour Master and his staff. We made good use of their excellent facilities and so refueled, watered and had a pump-out before going onto a post-mooring. To then get from the mooring to the shore, a water taxi was provided at £2 per person return.

Friday 1st August, Ocean Princess spent the day in Yarmouth harbour while John, our navigator, went to Brighton for the day to attend his son's graduation.

Ocean Princess at sea Friday night at 2300 Ocean Princess set sail for a night and day crossing from Yarmouth to Falmouth. The night passage started off well but slow going past Hurst Castle, with wind and tide against us. Speed shot up to over 10 knots in the race off St Albans Head, then suddenly the seas hit us without warning. In the dark we could not see the 7 foot waves coming and it took all our concentration to keep the bow into the waves. Speed had to be reduced to 2 knots in order to prevent slamming from one wave to the next. Our new seal around the front door worked well, greatly reducing the amount of water coming into the saloon. Gradually the sea calmed as dawn broke.

We passed Portland Bill and had a calm crossing of Lyme Bay.

With calm seas, Ocean Princess made good progress (6 knots) arriving at Mevagissey at 2035 that Saturday evening and we tied up against the inside of the outer harbour wall.

Ocean Princess leaving shore Sunday 3rd August Ocean Princess left Mevagissey with calm seas for Falmouth. Having cleared the propeller of orange twine, probably from a lobster pot, we arrived at Flushing Pier (opposite Falmouth Docks) at 1000 to be greeted by my Mum, my Stepfather and the locals. With Mum busy opening bottles of champagne and serving light refreshments, we began our boat trips around the harbour for all her friends from Flushing who had been detailed to arrive at varying times.

Approaching Falmouth.

Then it was time for refueling from the bunker boat in the harbour at Falmouth and off to the beach at
St Antonys Head where we anchored for tea and a swim among all the other visiting yachts. Ocean Princess has a bathing platform built into the base plate in the cockpit which makes climbing back on board after a swim much easier. To see Ocean Princess anchored among the many yachts caused much interest. That night we returned to Falmouth and spent the night moored against the bunker boat.